Sunday, March 1, 2009

Is it possible to get a good deal on organic produce?


Yesterday I was shopping at Safeway. I have to admit, I didn't really feel like grocery shopping...but they had a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase in their weekly ad that expired yesterday so off I went. As I walked through the produce section I saw that they had oranges for $1 a pound. I kept walking as I buy oranges when I can get them for $.30 - $.50 a pound. When I walked on I saw that the organic oranges were $.25 a pound! That struck me as very strange since organic produce is usually quite a bit more expensive. So I asked the produce gal who was right there about it. She said they had shipped them twice the amount of organic oranges they had ordered. So instead of letting them go to waste, they discounted them to clear them out. So, be aware when you wander through the store...you just might find an unexpected deal!

One of the things the produce gal mentioned was that organic produce has a very short shelf life. Have any of you been able to get good deal on organic produce that has to be used right away? Please post comments and share any experiences that the rest of us can learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment