Sunday, January 4, 2009

Should you pay more for quality?





When does quality count? Does it matter? Is it worth the extra cost? The answer is yes and no.


If you want to have something for a long time, there's a good chance you need to invest in quality. My husband has a Air Canada duffel bag that he has had for 15 years. This bag has survived trips on buses, cars and planes and is still in great shape. It wasn't the cheapest in terms of price, but it was good quality and shows very little wear after all this time. In this case, it was definetely worth investing in quality. You have those items too. Take a look in your closets. What did you have that just won't wear out? You invested in quality when you purchased those items.


There are other purchases where quality may or may not matter. Personally, I haven't found that a $4 toothbrush lasts me any longer than the special 2 pack I bought for $1.79. When it comes to aluminum foil, it depends on what my purpose is in using it. If I am wrapping up baked potatoes, the cheap aluminum foil works fine for me. However, if we are barbequing salmon, I wouldn't even bother if I didn't have heavy duty aluminum foil. When it comes to food, we've all heard about name brand and generic labels at times being produced at the same factory (of course this isn't always the case). Sometimes there is a huge difference in quality and sometimes there isn't. So, look for those areas where quality doesn't matter to you and see if you can save!

No comments:

Post a Comment