Friday, January 9, 2009

Don't take no for an answer

My son who is 9 has a business. He collects ink and toner cartridges from friends and businesses. He then recycles those cartridges. Large cartridges he sells to a remanufacturing company and small ink cartridges he takes to Staples which has an ink cartridge recycling program . Stapes mails reward checks monthly for their ink-recycling program. For some reason Benjamin didn't receive the rewards checks for all the cartridges he had returned since July. At first, I thought it was because they only sent out the checks quarterly...then I just didn't get around to checking into it. In December, I emailed to inquire what was going on. He received one of the three rewards checks he had earned. I emailed again about the other two rewards checks. Two weeks later, I called and was assured both rewards checks had been issued and were on their way, but my son only got one of the checks. So I called again today to check on where it was and the representative told me they do not re-issue rewards checks that have expired. I explained the situation and she said there was nothing she could do, but she would have the gal that had told me the two rewards checks were coming call me. I didn't get a call, but an email from her saying they do not re-issue expired checks. I emailed her back and very politely explained the situation that my son had not gotten his checks and that I didn't believe USPS could lose three different checks and that I thought the issue must have been on their end. I shortly got an email back from her saying, "As a one-time courtesy, we have issued a new Reward with an extended expiration date." My son is very excited to be getting that $18 reward check that he had returned cartridges for. I guess the thing to remember in these situations is perseverance counts...if you don't stay on it, it won't happen. I also used one of the phrases that I learned in Financial Peace University when I was told they couldn't re-issue the reward check. In my email I said, "and if you are not able, refer it on to your manager or someone who can rectify the situation." Though it was work to get those rewards, I appreciate that Staples re-issued the check!

No comments:

Post a Comment