Monday, February 9, 2009

Pay attention when paying for your purchases!


To avoid being overcharged at the checkstand, make sure you watch while your items are being rung up. Last week we were down in Missoula. One of the things on my list of things to get was envelopes for our business. Since we were out north Reserve, we stopped at Staples. I really didn't need a huge box, but hey, I always have to figure out which one is the best deal. The most reasonable ones were the Standard business envelopes with a gummed enclosure that were on sale for $5.99 (reg. $8.29) for 500. Then in small print on the tag it said, "buy one, get one free." Now we are talking $5.99 for 1000 envelopes! Honestly, I really prefer the security envelopes but they run $16.99 for a box of 500. Since the plain ones were 17% of the cost of the security ones, I decided I could wrap a piece of paper around anything I am concerned about showing through the envelope (which very rarely happens). Then I went up to pay for my envelopes and I was charged full price for both boxes. I politely told the cashier that the sign said they were on sale and that they were supposed to be buy one get one free. So, the other cashier who didn't have anyone in her line went back to check on the price. She was gone quite a while, so after waiting for several minutes I headed back to show her the sign. Apparently it was a sale from the previous week and they hadn't taken down the signs, but they gave me the sale price as it was marked. And now that I have a 1000 envelopes, I probably won't have to buy more for at least several years! So pay attention at the check stand. It saved me $10.58 cents on that particular trip to Staples.

No comments:

Post a Comment